Specific questions about courses
I have some very specific questions about Courses, but couldn’t get ahold of anyone via email. Is it possible to set up office hours to go through these questions and a few other unrelated questions?
I’ll ask the Courses questions here.
Our Course listing is here: https://dev.ling.yale.edu/academics/courses
- Big question first: is there anyway to pull course information from the OCI to dynamically create Courses each term, and then be able to modify the Courses and tag them with course types? If we want to use the Courses feature in drupal, must we manually enter courses?
- The default split between “Undergraduate” and “Graduate” courses wasn’t useful for our department, so I added some other course types. I then deleted the “Undergraduate” and “Graduate” course types, which of course breaks the two views: “Undergraduate Courses Page” and “Graduate Courses Page”. I can’t figure out how to delete/remove these.
- When a viewer navigates to the Courses page, I have all of the possible course types display by default. Viewers can then change the filter criteria if they want to view just one or several course types. I would like the courses to be listed by course type in the order that they appear in the filter; that is, “First year seminars” on top (there are none this term), then “Introductory courses”, then “Intermediate courses”, etc. Right now, for some reason “Languages” displays first, and “Seminars” occur before “Senior Requirements”.
- We would actually like to not have “Languages” listed here at all, because the ASL program is separate from the Linguistics program. Eventually we might have a separate page hosted on our website for the ASL program, and the ASL courses could be listed there. I suspect the solution might be to create a new Content Type which is just like Courses in every other way… We do, however, want the ASL courses to be listed on the professor’s People page, just like all the other courses are listed via the Dynamic Faculty Block. So in that way, the ASL courses seem like a subtype of Courses, and not a new content type. Any ideas on how to implement this?
- I tried to change the site structure a bit so that Courses are housed under the main menu link “Academics” (url: academics/courses instead of /courses). I think I did this simply by changing the menu link location, but not quite everything seems to have worked as I expected. When you create a course, apparently they get given their own page, such as this one: https://dev.ling.yale.edu/academics/courses/ling-254654-syntax-ii#
- I’m not sure how anyone would access those particular pages, but still: the URL path reflects the menu hierarchy, but if you go to that page you will see that the breadcrumbs do not. They have: home > courses > ling 254/654: syntax ii
- I’m not sure how to change the breadcrumbs, basically, although it might not matter ultimately.
Thanks for any help!