The Video Feature provides a way for departments and organizations to collect and display videos that are hosted on 3rd party video sites such as Vimeo and YouTube. The Video Feature provides a Content Type for capturing the URLs and other information for the videos and various Views to display the videos. All you need to do is fill in the fields for the Video Content Type and the videos will automatically display in the Videos listing page with the most recent on the top of the list.
Adding Videos to your site
Videos cannot be directly uploaded and stored on your site. They must be hosted on a 3rd party site such as Vimeo or YouTube.
- Click on Content -> Add content -> Video in the toolbar.
- Complete the following ﬁelds where applicable:
- Add a title for the page
- Choose a date from the pop-up calendar if it is different from today’s date
- Enter the Video URL from the 3rd party hosting service. Locate the video on the site and:
- YouTube - click on Share button under the video then copy the URL below
- Vimeo - copy the URL in the location field of your browser (i.e. http://vimeo.com/25696666) and paste it in the Video URL field.
- Enter a description of the video in the Description field
- Click on the Save button to save the page and publish it live.
The Video Content Type has the following ﬁelds:
- Title – title of the video
- Date – date the video is posted; can be different from today’s date.
- Video URL – upload field; the image displays in the upper left corner of the landing page and as the thumbnail in the Videos listing page
- Description – main body that provides the story about the video. This can include links, lists, etc.
- URL Alias – video/page-title
- Video Listing Page – listing of 10 most recent videos; full pager displays below when 11 or more news items are available. Page is set to display at yoursite.yale.edu/videos.
- Video Listing Block – displays the four most recent videos at the bottom of a video landing page; ‘More’ link in the lower right corner.